New major update ViStart 8.1 the ultimate start menu for windows 8
Bring the start menu back in Windows 8 and work with Windows 8 like you’re used too in Windows 7
Vistart the free start menu for Windows 8 and older Windows versions got a "double" major update with lots of new and improved features. Vistart has of course all the features that you expect from a start menu and then some more. One of the best features in comparison of some paid alternatives like Start8 from Stardock, is of course that Vistart 8 is completely free while having more features and functionality.
- Now ViStart comes with 3 Start Menu skins and 4 Start menu buttons pre installed and a completely renewed skin manager making Vistart the best customizable Start menu on the net.
- New control panel with lots of extra features
- Skip the Metro and boot directly to your windows 8 desktop. Plus more options now to control "metro" desktop behavior
- Right click on “Apps” search result to pin a app to the start menu. Plus addition right click support.
- Vistart 8 functions in Windows 8 just like the original start menu in windows 7 and has some extra features on top of that especially for windows 8. For EXTRA features. Simply right click the windows start button and you will be presented with an “OPTIONS” menu. Here you access to frequently used windows features as well as a few extra ViStart features.
Download this page in PDF
Download this page in Docx
Read more of the new and improved Start Menu features of Vistart 8.1:
Start Menu Skins
The most eye catching is of course the complete renewed skin manager for Vistart that comes with already 3 pre installed skins and 4 start button images. You can change the Vistart skins now in a eye blink without even have to restart Vistart or Windows. This is also the case for the start buttons you can change them independently from the skins so you can mix start buttons and skins to select your look of choice for Vistart. On our website you can download 25 additional free skins and 20 buttons that are now even more easy to install for everyone . Also you can use your own .png images to enhance your start menu button or create your own skin. We can proudly say that Vistart is the most customizable start menu available on the net.
|Windows 8 start menu
||Windows 7 style start menu
Completely new control panel
Vistart has a completely new control panel for all options and preferences that is easily accessible from various places within the Start menu. Now you can adjust all settings/options/preferences in one place and we added a lot of new options and settings.
Metro Control and Access
Within the control panel you can control how metro is behaving or even disable certain metro features. Par example you can set Windows 8 to skip the metro and boot directly to the windows 8 desktop. You also can Disable “hot” corners, charms bar, etc so you even can make Windows 8 function like Windows 7.
New and Improved Features list
There are too many new settings and features to discuss them all in detail but here is a list that sums up the most important ones:
- Completely renewed skinning engine
- Two extra pre installed start menu skins, XeBlack 2.0 and Windows 8 Start Menu style .
- Four extra pre installed start buttons
- You can now switch between skins without having to reload ViStart
- Skins/Themes can now be installed more easily.
- New ViStart control panel, giving the user more control over ViStart and all its features.
- Added more right click menus to easily access options and control panel.
- Improved support for skipping the metro start up screen.
- Added support for disabling annoying windows 8 desktop features and like charms bar and start corners (Essentially making your windows 8 desktop like Windows 7).
- Drastically improved load times.
- Improved pinning support
- Better Jump list support
- Added more shortcuts to the surface(menu) inside of ViStart.
- Text is rendered better and more clearly (resembles Windows 7 start menu)
- You can now choose how certain features of ViStart behave (ie, start button opens ViStart but windows key can open surface menu or vice versa)
- Added ability to pop out other selected folders on the navigation menu in their own sub menu. Not only Recent items can pop out now.
- Improved surface app integration, now all surface apps now show in search results
- Added the ability to change skins and start buttons directly from the start menu.
- Continued support for Windows XP, Vista and Windows 7
- More text can be customized with the language files
- Under the surface is the programming code completely reorganized so Vistart functions and operates better and more smoothly
- Many more bug fixes, Including ViStart doesn't start with windows 8 correctly.
- and lot’s of smaller extra options, features and improvement we can’t even mention here!!
For more info on all features of Vistart, the ViStart user guide, Vistart FAQ and to download the new Vistart 8.1 go to our website www.lee-soft.com
Vistart - windows 8 start menu features:
- the original features of the windows 7 start menu
- boot directly to the windows 8 desktop
- advanced search (includes also windows “metro” apps and displays them in a separate category)
- Search & start “metro” apps directly from the start menu
- pin “metro” apps to the start menu
- switch button in the start menu to switch to the “metro” app desktop
- custom start buttons “there is a selection of free start buttons on the lee-soft.com website)
- completely skin able “ you can give your start menu a custom look”
- free skins “ there is a special gallery with free skins on lee-soft.com to customize you start menu”
Vistart - Windows 8 Start menu Download & installation:
Vistart 8 will work also in Windows 7/Vista/XP. You can download Vistart 8 for free at : www.lee-soft.com/vistart/
When you install Vistart in Windows 8 the Vistart installer will show a UAC “User Account Control” Window just click Yes to start the installation.
History of Vistart “Windows start menu”
Vistart originally was made in 2006 to have a Vista start menu for windows XP. Since then has been updated many times. In February 2012 we decided to make a new version that would have special features for Windows 8. Since Microsoft decided to get the start menu out of Windows 8 we added extra features so users can have the best of windows 8 and windows 7 combined.
More info on our windows 8 start menu
If you have an issue with ViStart, then please check the ViStart Start Menu Frequently Asked Questions page. . if after that you are still having issues with ViStart please contact me:
Review ChangeLog for ViStart updates