My Community
November 23, 2014, 08:45:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?

Login with username, password and session length
News: ViGlance 1194 Released!

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Windows Hotkey combinations flawed (Win+D, Win+R, etc. keyboard shortcuts)  (Read 1911 times)
tdls

View Profile
« on: November 19, 2011, 08:32:56 AM »

ViStart 7.0 Version 2.0 Build 3766 on Windows XP (reported on 2011-11-19)

Hello,

Windows hotkey combinations are no longer working correctly, e.g. Win+D, Win+R etc.
They all send the letter to the currently focussed application, leading to unwanted text or unexpected behaviour of the currently application.

Steps to reproduce
1) Open notepad.exe (ensure focus is on the notepad window, with blinking cursor)
2) Press Win+R (to show the RUN dialogue and start another app)
3) Look at the cursor position of your notepad window

Actual result

- ViStart allowed the (Win+)R keypress to end up in notepad, so there is an unwanted character "r" in the text of notepad.
- Depending on focussed application, this can even trigger unwanted commands, e.g.
Win+M (to minimize all windows), triggered from Thunderbird, will mark the currently selected messages read/unread

Expected result

- ViStart should not behave differently than default Windows for Win+whatever keypress
- ViStart must deal with the Win+R keypress in a way that it does NOT get sent to focussed applications unexpectedly, as this leads to unwanted, unpredictable and thus potentially harmful behaviour in those applications

I am using windows hotkeys all the time, so with such basic interaction flaws, I'll probably have to abandon ViStart.
Lee
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2011, 02:46:33 PM »

Do you know if both the win key is sent to the focused app and the 'r' key or just the 'r' key?
tdls

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 06:52:47 AM »

Do you know if both the win key is sent to the focused app and the 'r' key or just the 'r' key?

I don't know how to find out. But I think it's just the 'r' character key.
This is really annoying behaviour, as the character key wrongly lands anywhere within written text or can even trigger commands in certain applications like Thunderbird.
Can we expect a fix for this anytime soon?

ViStart is a nice tool, but this is No. 3 of basic usability annoyances in ViStart, the other two being missing right-click and missing long file name tooltips on file search results.
tdls

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2012, 12:20:53 AM »

Lee, are you able to reproduce this bug?

I just downloaded the latest build, and unfortunately, this wasn't among the focus bugs that have been fixed...
Lee
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 08:36:18 AM »

yea i should have this sorted in a few days.
Lee
Administrator

View Profile Email
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 09:04:31 AM »

yea i should have this sorted in a few days.

it may take longer than anticipated by i will update this thread when I manage to fix it.
Faark

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2012, 11:23:00 AM »

ViStart is a nice tool, but this is No. 3 of basic usability annoyances in ViStart, the other two being missing right-click and missing long file name tooltips on file search results.
I'm absolutely signing this. Hope you can fix it.

Another example where the current behavior is annoying is the Win+ArrowKey to move windows between screens. Without ViStart holding Win whilte pressing LeftArrow moves the window 3 times (each after releasing the arrow)... with vistart only once (after releasing the win key).
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: