Vistart 8 the ultimate free Start Menu for windows 8 has a new major update. One of the great new features is that, now you can also boot directly to your windows 8 desktop and skip the “metro” apps desktop. So now you can work with windows 8 like you where used in windows 7. We have tested the new Vistart update extensive on the final release of Windows 8 and working with windows 8 and getting used to the new interface seems a lot easier.
- Now ViStart shows the number of files, apps and programs when you search on the windows start menu. So you know exactly how many results are returned for your query.
- Open your apps faster than ever before! Now you can search & launch your favorite metro apps straight from the windows start menu without having to use the metro menu! Simply search for metro apps the same way you would search for programs and files in the start menu.
- We are working hard on even more useful features so windows 8 users can have the best desktop experience. After the official release of Windows 8 we are planning to add some more features in the next Vistart 8 release.
- Right click on “Apps” search result to pin a app to the start menu.
- Vistart 8 functions in Windows 8 just like the original start menu in windows 7 and has some extra features on top of that especially for windows 8. For EXTRA features. Simply right click the windows start button and you will be presented with an “EXTRAS” menu. Here you access to frequently used windows features as well as a few extra ViStart features.
Vistart 8 functions in Windows 8 just like the original start menu in windows 7 and has some extra features on top of that especially for windows 8. For EXTRA features. Simply right click the windows start button and you will be presented with an “EXTRAS” menu. Here you access to frequently used windows features as well as a few extra ViStart features.
Vistart windows 8 start menu settings tips
- Skip Metro – Right click the start button and click “Skip Metro” When it you see [ turn off] it’s correctly set to skip the metro desktop and boot directly to the windows 8 desktop
- Show Metro – Switch to the Metro Desktop from Vistart.
- Run – Easier access to the windows RUN menu
- Pick a new Start button image – here you can select a custom button for the Windows 8 start menu
- Reset the start button to the original image
- Sleep – shutdown your computer
One of the most annoying things about Windows 8 is the process you have to go through to actually shut down the computer. We’ve made it easy. You can now shutdown your computer straight from the EXTRAS menu.
Vistart – windows 8 start menu features:
- the original features of the windows 7 start menu
- boot directly to the windows 8 desktop
- advanced search (includes also windows “metro” apps and displays them in a separate category)
- Search & start “metro” apps directly from the start menu
- pin “metro” apps to the start menu
- switch button in the start menu to switch to the “metro” app desktop
- custom start buttons “there is a selection of free start buttons on the lee-soft.com website)
- completely skin able “ you can give your start menu a custom look”
- free skins “ there is a special gallery with free skins on lee-soft.com to customize you start menu”
Vistart – Windows 8 Start menu Download & installation:
Vistart 8 will work also in Windows 7/Vista/XP. You can download Vistart 8 for free at : www.lee-soft.com/vistart/ When you install Vistart in Windows 8 the Vistart installer will show a UAC “User Account Control” Window just click Yes to start the installation.
The following installation dialogs will speak for them self. At the last Dialog you can let Vistart pick the place for the Start button to appear on your taskbar. For the default place “the left corner” on the windows taskbar just click next. If you want to determinate the place yourself click on “Use old method”
History of Vistart “Windows start menu”
Vistart originally was made in 2006 to have a Vista start menu for windows XP. Since then has been updated many times. In February 2012 we decided to make a new version that would have special features for Windows 8. Since Microsoft decided to get the start menu out of Windows 8 we added extra features so users can have the best of windows 8 and windows 7 combined.
More info on our windows 8 start menu